About National HealthCare Group
National HealthCare Group was established to bring affordable and reliable private primary healthcare services to low-income employer groups. Since its inception in 2017, the group has introduced a series of ground-breaking primary healthcare solutions, entrenching itself as the provider of choice in the low-cost and emerging segments of the healthcare market. An extensive doctor network, well situated throughout South Africa, and a hands-on business philosophy has allowed the group to develop an intimate understanding of the needs of the low-cost market. National HealthCare has consistently grown lives under management within the group to more than 40 000 beneficiaries by providing administration and managed care services for our clients.
The National HealthCare Group was established in 2017, through investment from Patrice Motsepe’s ARC Health, to bring affordable and reliable private primary healthcare services to low-income employer groups with specially designed products such as MediClub Premier and Elite.
Soon afterwards, the group established and branded its own independent practitioner association comprising of 1,300 doctors.
National HealthCare Group launched the first Corporate based primary healthcare product.
With the acquisition of Enablemed in July 2019, National HealthCare Group extended its service offering to the medical scheme industry and doubled its independent provider network.
In 2019, the National HealthCare Group onboarded its first major Exempted insurance client.
Through Enablemed, the National HealthCare Group can lay claim to a 25-year heritage.
The MediClub product range expanded to a WhatsApp based service, MediClub Connect™.
InVenFin, the venture capital arm of Remgro Limited, acquires a stake in National HealthCare Group.
TymeHealth launches through digital TymeBank app.
The introduction of the MediClub iSeries – National HealthCare Group’s Exempted insurance product line-up.
BeWell, a product marketed under the Standard Bank brand is launched to the employer market to provide employees with access to affordable private primary healthcare services.
Established service provider partnership with GENRIC Insurance Company Ltd who underwrites both Standard Bank and Old Mutual products.
Our reason for being
Our vision is to improve access to reliable and affordable healthcare cover for employees in the lower, and emerging income market, where many millions of South Africans have never yet in their lifetime enjoyed access to private healthcare services.
Ownership and expertise
National HealthCare Group’s shareholders include ARC Health (Pty) Ltd, a private investment company, majority-owned by African Rainbow Capital and managed by African Rainbow Capital Health Managers and InVenFin, the venture capital arm of Remgro Limited. Other shareholders include Growth Grid Venture Capital Partners and several seasoned business leaders who have led organisations such as CareCross Health, Dimension Data, Imperial, future Growth and Ernst & Young.
The National HealthCare Team
The highly experienced National HealthCare team collectively has more than a century’s experience within the South African healthcare market. The directors of the company include doctors, technology experts and chartered accountants.
Dr Reinder Nauta
- M.B., Ch.B. (Stellenbosch)
- Diploma in Primary Health Care Development: Mahidol University of Bangkok, Thailand
- Founder and managing director of CareCross Health, a provider of affordable healthcare to low-income employees and previously disadvantaged individuals in 1998
- BCom (Hons) Financial Management, MBA (Reading, United Kingdom)
- Executive Education Programme (Warton School, University of Pennsylvania)
- 22 years of experience in the local and international healthcare benefit management industry
- Previously CEO of MSO International
Dr Mandla Moyo
- Doctor of Business Administration in Healthcare Management (Liberty University, USA)
- Chartered Accountant (SA), MCom, Certified in Risk and Information Systems Control
- Non-executive Director of The Health Foundation (NPO)
- 11 years of experience as a partner at Ernst & Young, a global advisory firm
Brett de Klerk
- BCom, Strategic cost reduction (University of Wisconsin)
- Strategic business development executive at EOH (Health Vertical)
- Chief Operating Officer of Dental Information Systems
- Chief Operating Officer of Sechaba Medical Solutions previously Sizwe Medical Services for 12 years
Dr Peter Makhambeni
- MBChB (KwaZulu Natal), MFGP, BA, DTM&H, CML
- Co-founder of Enablemed in 1995
- Extensive experience as practising general practitioner
- Extensive experience in the healthcare insurance industry
- Certified Financial Planner
- 14 years at Enablemed as Head of Business Development
- Extensive experience in distribution and benefit management sectors of the South African healthcare insurance industry
- Eight years of experience in the healthcare industry within CareCross as well as the National HealthCare Group
- Independent consultant with projects in strategic change management, business development and executive coaching
- 17 years within the field of information technology (Dimension Data and others) with roles ranging from divisional management to the implementation of customer relationship strategies
- Eight years as executive at Hertz Southern Africa